It’s well known that dry skin is about more than skin lacking moisture. It is in fact, skin whose function has somehow been compromised leading to cracking, itching and scaling.The stratum corneum, or skin’s uppermost layer, is responsible for controlling moisture loss as well as protecting the body from external damage. Natural moisturizing factors, sebum and lipids in between the skin cells provide moisture to keep the skin in balance. It’s believed that a disruption of this balance is partly responsible for dry skin.
Effectively managing dry skin requires a combination of self care along with effective dry skin treatments. To learn more about the causes and symptoms of dry skin along with self care measures click here. To learn more about products that can effectively help you to manage a dry skin condition, read on.
5 Top Dry Skin Care Treatments
In treating dry skin, it’s a good idea to combine a range of products that work in different ways. This ensures that products’ actions will complement one another, leading to a speedier resolution. All 5 treatments below can and should be used together leaving you with a range of effective solutions all adding up to smooth skin.
1. Sunscreen – Whether or not you suffer from dry skin, sunscreen should be an essential part of your skin care routine. The most effective treatment for holding back the years, sun exposure (like exposure to any heat) also dries your skin. Choose a broad spectrum UVA and UVB blocking product like one from the Anthelios line. Alternatively, go for a product like Hydraphase UV SPF 30, which moisturizes and protects against UV rays.
2. Moisturizers – Moisturizers help to keep moisture in the stratum corneum. They also act as a temporary barrier, allowing damaged surface cells time to repair themselves. Mositurizers may may contain antioxidants such as Vitamins C and E, lipids (lecithin, cholesterol, glycerides, plant oils), anti-inflammatories and water binding agents such as hyaluronic acid. If you have dry skin, you can’t overdo it. Apply as often as needed each day.
Face – Choose from:
Hydraphase UV (sodium hyaluronate, glycerin hydrate dry skin; Mexoryl SX protects against sun’s damaging UVA and UVB rays
Hydreane (lipids and soothing thermal spring water)
Nutritic (essential fatty acids, shea butter and glycerin restore skin’s barrier function and eliminate dryness)
Body – Choose from:
Lipikar Baume (20% shea butter plus other emollients soothe dry skin)
3. Exfoliators – Apha hydroxy acids (AHAs) and Beta Hydroxy Acid (Salicylic Acid) – AHAs and BHAs encourage the removal of dry skin cells and help skin cells turnover more frequently resulting in the production of newer, healthier skin cells.
M2 HP Skin Refinish – Mandelic and malic acids provide gentle exfoliation leading to softer, smoother skin
4. Gentle Cleansers – Cleansers that strip away natural oils will only compound a dry skin problem. Choose ones that are not soap based. If your skin feels dry after cleansing, chances are it’s doing more harm than good. Choose another.
5. Lip Balms – Lips lack the lipids and cell structure the rest of the face has. This makes them more prone to dryness. Apply a lip gloss or balm as often as is necessary and remember to take care at night as well. Choose one that has SPF protection during the day to do double duty against sun exposure as well.
If skin is still dry, consider adding some oils. Olive oil contains antioxidants and other ingredients that is highly beneficial to dry skin. Hydrating masks used weekly can also help.
Lastly, don’t forgot to protect hands, which are prone to dryness because they’re washed frequently and more exposed, especially during the winter. Consider any one of the body creams mentioned above or try La Roche Posay Xerand Hand Cream.
If your skin is chronically or severely dry, then you should probably seek a dermatologist’s help. But the above treatments will go a long way towards improving your skin’s condition on your own.
‘Tis the season for giving, as they say, and with the big day being only a few weeks away, we’ve got a list of Christmas gift ideas that will hopefully make the process that much easier. From your best friend to your child’s teacher, we’ve got something for everyone on your list: Apothekari A is… Read more »