Occasional use of a facial mask is good for your skin. Masks can be used to clarify uneven skin tone, unclog pores and blackheads, tighten pores, stimulate blood circulation and rehydrate dry skin. How do you choose one that’s right for you?
Masks for pore management
If you are looking for a mask to help clear up trouble areas on your face, look for a mask which removes impurities. Good ingredients include clay (kaolin), glycolic acid, or salicylic acid. We like Neostrata Smoothing Cleansing Mask with kaolin and 10% glycolic acid.
Masks for moisture
If you’re seeking a bit hit of moisture, look for a reputable hydrating ingredient like hyaluronic acid (also called sodium hyaluronate). Neostrata Moisture Rescue Sheet Mask is convenient and effective with a stellar 15% hyaluronic acid as its key ingredient.
How frequently should a mask be used?
Facial masks are a treatment which is best used regularly but not frequently. Depending on your needs, you might need to use a mask once a month or once a week. Using cleansing masks too frequently can result in overstimulation of the sebaceous glands, resulting in breakouts. Err on the side of caution and start with a monthly mask. Moisture masks can be used weekly.
How do I use a facial mask?
- Always do a patch test in an inconspicuous area before using a new product.
- Apply the mask in a circular motion, massaging your face gently. You might like to use a dedicated eye cream first to protect this delicate area from any drying ingredients. Avoid the lips as well as they are more vulnerable to drying.
- If you are using a cleansing mask, allow the mask to completely dry.
- If you are using a sheet mask or gel based mask, follow the instructions so that the mask has time to work before peeling.
- If you are using a mask which should be rinsed off, use a damp washcloth to make sure that all of the mask has been removed. Remember to be gentle as the ingredients are doing the exfoliating work for you. Scrubbing will just restimulate your oil glands. Pat your face dry with cool water and apply a moisturizer such as Linacare Transforming Face Cream.
- Smile and enjoy the sensation of smoother, clearer skin.