Muscle aches, or myalgia, is an extremely common condition. Whether caused by shoveling snow, lifting something heavy, or sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress, most of us have experienced muscle pain at some point. Because muscle is present in almost every part of the body, muscle pain may be felt practically anywhere.
Most instances of myalgia result from too much stress, tension, or physical activity. Some common causes include:
- Muscle tension in one or more areas of the body
- Overusing the muscle during physical activity
- Injuring the muscle while engaging in physically demanding work or exercise
Our online store offers a range of treatments to help with occasional muscle aches and pains:
Robaxin. Featuring the muscle relaxant methocarbamol, the Robaxin line of treatments includes products supplemented with additional pain killers including ibuprofen, acetaminophen and acetylsalicylic acid.
Lakota. Pain relief made with natural ingredients. Lakota offers a range of treatments to relieve arthritis, joint, muscle, or back pain.
Non-drug measures that may provide relief from muscle pain include:
- Gently stretching the muscles
- Avoiding high-impact activities until after the muscle pain goes away
- Avoiding weight-lifting sessions until the muscle pain is resolved
- Giving yourself time to rest
- Doing stress-relieving activities and exercises such as yoga and meditation to relieve tension
If your muscle pain is a result of minor injuries, stress or exercise, home treatment is usually sufficient. However, if you suffer a severe injury or have systemic disease, this can be serious and requires medical care. Muscle pain that is accompanied by breathing difficulties, dizziness, extreme muscle weakness, high fever or stiff neck requires immediate attention and you should seek medical care.