When hard, dry stools may cause discomfort, Senokot S offers the added comfort of a stool softener.
The Senokot® Family of Laxatives has been trusted by healthcare professionals for over 50 years. For fifteen years in a row, Senokot has been the #1 recommended laxative brand by Pharmacists. It’s also the #1 Physician recommended brand, two years in a row.
What is Senna?
You can find natural source senna in the Senokot family of laxatives. The natural source senna in all Senokot products provide comfortable, overnight relief from occasional constipation. The laxative effects of the senna plant have been identified as sennosides (senna glycosides). Senna in Senokot® is the deseeded and dried pods of e known as Alexandria senna. Traditionally, senna has been used in herbal medicine for the short-term relief of occasional constipation.
How does it work?
Senna glycosides are transported to the bowel, where they are transformed by enzymes produced by colon bacteria. Without this transformation by colon bacteria, senna would remain inactive. The action of the senna stays within the large intestine. The senna then stimulates a series of wave-like contractions called peristalsis, therefore resulting in a bowel movement. Evacuation (bowel movement) generally occurs within 6-12 hours following ingestion. The correct dose of the sennosides-containing laxatives is the smallest required to produce comfortable soft-formed stool and varies between individuals.
Adults may take 1-2 tablets at bedtime. Dosage must not exceed 4 tablets twice daily.
Pregnant women and children 6-12 years of age may take 1/2-1 tablet, preferably at bedtime. Maximum dosage must not exceed 2 tablets twice a day.
Senekot S is for the relief of functional constipation through combined stool softening and peristaltic stimulation. Specifically indicated for postpartum patients, for use by patients with heart disease where straining at stool must be avoided, and in constipation in the presence of hemorrhoids, anal fissures or other conditions where hard dry stools may cause discomfort.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Each orange, film coated Senokot®•S tablet, stamped S/S on one side, contains 8.6 mg standardized sennosides and 50 mg docusate sodium.
NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS: Cornstarch, guar gum, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, silicon dioxide. Film coating: D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, lecithin, polyethylene glycol, polyvinyl alcohol, talc, and titanium dioxide. Tartrazine-free.
When not to use Senokot: Senokot S: Do not use Senokot S if you have intestinal obstructions and/or stenosis, atony, appendicitis, inflammatory colon disease (e.g. Crohn’s Disease, ulcerative colitis), abdominal pain of unknown origin, and/or a severe dehydration state with water and electrolyte depletion.
CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS:
- If sharp pains in the bowel (griping) occur, subsequent dosage should be reduced. If you are pregnant or nursing, seek the advice of a healthcare practitioner before using this product.
- Rectal bleeding or failure to have a bowel movement after use of a laxative may indicate a serious condition. Discontinue use and consult a physician.
- Do not use in the presence of abdominal pain, nausea, fever or vomiting.
- Overuse or extended use may cause dependence for bowel function. Do not take any type of laxative for more than one week, unless your physician has ordered a special schedule.
- Laxatives should not be taken within two hours of another medicine because the desired effect of the other medicine may be reduced. Do not administer Senokot S together with mineral oil since the docusate sodium component of Senokot S (senna and docusate sodium) tablets may increase absorption of oil.
- If there has been a sudden change in bowel movements that persists over a period of 2 weeks, consult a physician before using a laxative.
- Consult a healthcare practitioner prior to use if you are taking heart medications, diuretics, adrenocorticosteroids, licorice root or other health products that may aggravate electrolyte imbalance.
Symptoms and treatment of overdosage: Prolonged use or overdosage with any stimulant laxative including those containing senna may cause diarrhea, leading to excessive water loss and possible electrolyte imbalance. In case of accidental overdosage, seek professional advice by contacting a Regional Poison Control Centre and/or physician and/or your local emergency number immediately, or go to your local hospital emergency, even if you do not notice any signs or symptoms.
Keep this and all medicine safely out of reach of children.