For those times when constipation is a concern, the Senokot® family of Laxatives can provide comfortable overnight relief of occasional constipation. Senokot works overnight so you can wake up to relief in the morning.
Senekot has been trusted by healthcare professionals for over 50 years. For fifteen years in a row, Senokot has been the #1 recommended laxative brand by Pharmacists. It’s also the #1 Physician recommended brand, two years in a row.
What is Senna?
You can find natural source senna in the Senokot family of laxatives. The natural source senna in all Senokot products provide comfortable, overnight relief from occasional constipation. The laxative effects of the senna plant have been identified as sennosides (senna glycosides). Senna is the deseeded and dried pods of a plant known as Alexandria senna. Traditionally, senna has been used in herbal medicine for the short-term relief of occasional constipation.
How does it work?
Senna glycosides are transported to the bowel, where they are transformed by enzymes produced by colon bacteria. Without this transformation by colon bacteria, senna would remain inactive. The action of the senna stays within the large intestine. The senna then stimulates a series of wave-like contractions called peristalsis, therefore resulting in a bowel movement. Evacuation (bowel movement) generally occurs within 6-12 hours following ingestion. The correct dose of the sennosides-containing laxatives is the smallest required to produce comfortable soft-formed stool and varies between individuals.
The prefered dosage time is at bedtime.
Adults may take 2 – 4 tablets, 1 – 2 times per day, taken at bedtime as required. Maximum dosage is 4 tablets, twice a day.
Children 6 – 12 years of age may take 1 – 2 tablets, 1 – 2 times per day, preferably at bedtime. Maximum dosage must not exceed 2 tablets twice a day.
During pregnancy, an acceptable dosage is 1 – 2 tablets,1 – 2 times per day, taken preferably at bedtime. Dosage must not exceed 2 tablets twice a day. During pregnancy or breastfeeding, please consult your physician about taking this or any other medication.
Do not use a laxative if you have intestinal obstructions and/or stenosis, atony, appendicitis, inflammatory colon disease (e.g. Crohn’s Disease, ulcerative colitis), abdominal pain of unknown origin, and/or a severe dehydration state with water and electrolyte depletion.
CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS:
- If sharp pains in the bowel (griping) occur, subsequent dosage should be reduced. If you are pregnant or nursing, seek the advice of a healthcare practitioner prior to using any laxative.
- Rectal bleeding or failure to have a bowel movement after use of a laxative may indicate a serious condition. Discontinue use and consult a physician.
- Remember, do not use a laxative in the presence of abdominal pain, nausea, fever or vomiting unless directed by a physician.
- Administer to children as directed. As with all medicine, keep out of children’s reach.
- Overuse or extended use of laxatives may cause dependence for bowel function. Do not take any laxative for more than a week – unless your physician has ordered a special schedule.
- When taking a laxative, remember that it should not be taken within two hours of another medicine because the desired effect of the other medicine may be reduced.
- Consult a healthcare professional prior to use if you are taking heart medications, diuretics, adrenocorticosteroids, licorice root or other health products that may aggravate electrolyte imbalance.
- If taking a laxative with docusate sodium do not take it together with mineral oil since the docusate sodium component may increase absorption of oil.
Symptoms and treatment of overdosage: Prolonged use or overdosage with any stimulant laxative, including those containing senna, may cause diarrhea, leading to excessive water loss and possible electrolyte imbalance. In case of accidental overdose, seek professional advice by contacting a Regional Poison Control Centre and/or your physician and/or your local emergency number immediately, or go to your local hospital emergency, even if you do not notice any signs or symptoms.
Keep this and all medicine safely out of reach of children.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Each “S” stamped, light brown, sugar free tablet contains 8.6 mg standardized sennosides.
NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS: Magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, purified water, cornstarch