Sunscreen or Moisturizer with SPF?
When it comes to protecting your skin against UVA and UVB rays, should you choose a sunscreen or is a moisturizer with SPF sufficient?
If you care about your skin, then you know that protecting it against the sun’s harmful rays is the most important thing you can do to keep it looking young and healthy. You already know to choose a product like Anthelios sunscreens or Apothekari Shade SPF 30 that:
• Afford broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
• Are photostable (don’t degrade upon exposure to UV rays. Look for products containing ingredients including titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL, Tinosorb M, Tinosorb S)
What you should also know is that it is important to apply enough sunscreen. Studies have shown that most of us do not apply enough, leaving us with protection ranging from 15 – 50% of the product’s label. A simple tip to ensure you are covered adequately: Apply sunscreen liberally. Wait 5 minutes and reapply. This will help to ensure that you’re well covered.
How to Choose
So do you need that sunscreen, or can you get away with your SPF moisturizer? For casual daily use, a moisturizer with SPF will probably be fine. The added benefit is that SPF moisturizers tend to be very compatible with make-up. A product like this is fine on days when you’ll be inside primarily or maybe just doing some dashing around for errands. However, if you are spending a dedicated day outside – at the beach, cycling, hiking, walking, etc. – then opt for a sunscreen. Sunscreens tend to contain higher concentrations of active ingredients, and are often formulated to be water resistant. This makes them ideal for when you are going to be active and spending a lot of time under the sun’s rays. Just remember to reapply!
Products to Consider
• Hydraphase UV SPF 30 – Friends and family cannot get enough of this light, pleasantly scented daily SPF moisturizer. A great addition to anyone’s skin care regimen
• Anthelios sunscreens – Formulated with photostable and UVB/UVB blocking Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL, you can’t go wrong with this line. Choose from a range including Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 50+, Anthelios Dermo Pediatrics Lait SPF 50+ or convenient Anthelios XL SPF 60 Targeted Stick.
• Apothekari Shade SPF30 – This natural zinc oxide based sunscreen contains 13.5% zinc oxide and is ideal if you are looking for a chemical free and effective sunscreen with no white finish.