MaMa Lotion is back! A novel gel/lotion formulation that makes an important addition to any anti-aging skin care routine, MaMa Lotion contains 20% alpha hydroxy acids – 10% mandelic acid and 10% malic acid with a pH of 2.5.
MaMa Lotion works as a topical exfoliant. Extensive testing of this unique product has demonstrated many skin benefits including:
· An evening of skin tone, including the removal of age spots & freckles
· Faded acne scars
· Significant reduction of acne breakouts
· Tightened skin and pores
· Shrinkage or elimination of blackheads
· Reduction or erasure of fine lines and wrinkles
· Significant reduction in symptoms of Rosacea
· Fading of Melasma
To see before and after photos, click here.
How Does MaMa Lotion Work?
MaMa Lotion incorporates mandelic acid and malic acid, two gentle yet effective alpha hydroxy acids as its key ingredients. The formulation is rounded off by gentle marine extracts. The combination of ingredients works to remove dead skin cells sitting on the stratum corneum, or skin’s uppermost layer. This process can help with conditions including Melasma, acne, blackheads, wrinkles and fine lines. Your skin will look brighter, lighter and more polished.
Mandelic acid is naturally antibacterial, making it ideal for the prevention and healing of breakouts. In addition, it absorbs and controls oil production, which can help to reduce the shine associated with oily/combination skin types. Malic acid is a humectant, which means that it attracts moisture to the skin, providing non-greasy hydration. It also delivers antioxidant benefits that can help to protect skin from free radicals and premature aging.
Compared to glycolic or lactic acids, which are more widely used in skin care products, the malic/mandelic acid combination has a slower, more even penetration. This characteristic results in much less skin irritation, making it ideal for use in individuals with sensitive skin.
MaMa Lotion Special Instructions for Darker Skin Tones
Because of their high melanin content, darker skin tones are more prone to hyperpigmentation, so it is always important to follow special instructions. MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER.
- When using MaMa Lotion on dark skin it is very important to start slow and gradually increase the usage to obtain the best results.
- For most individualls who have never used active ingredients on the skin, MaMa Lotion should be used no more that twice a week for the first few weeks up to one month
- Gradually increase usage to every other day as tolerated. Some individuals may be able to use MaMa Lotion every day eventually, some may not
- Mild peeling is normal, but if the skin becomes irritated, red, or inflamed this may cause darkening of the skin (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation). If your pimples heal with brown color that lasts for weeks or months, you are at risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- More is not always better. If the skin does become irritated:
- Stop using MaMa Lotion for a few days
- Use only a good gentle moisturizer only such as La Roche Posay Toleriane for few days
- Protect the skin from any direct sunlight with a strong sunscreen containing titanium and zinc or Mexoryl SX/XL such as Anthelios sunscreens. A well formulated UVA/UVB sunscreen should be used daily, year round, but is especially important while treating hyperpigmented skin and for ongoing maintenance because hyperpigmentation can always come back
- Within a few days the MaMa Lotion may be started again.
- Everyone will be able to find the right schedule to use without causing hyperpigmentation
- If the skin is ultra sensitive, we would recommend applying the moisturizer first to seal the skin and then apply the MaMa Lotion over the top of the Moisturizer (reverse order)
- Remember the key to success is to use enough MaMa Lotion to lighten the skin or clear up the acne but not so much that the skin is irritated and at risk of hyperpigmentation
- A wide brimmed hat is also important to give maximum protection to the face from the sun
- Non facial areas of skin will do best if irritations and abrasions are avoided and the areas are kept well moisturized and protected from the sun.