Menopausal vaginal dryness may still not be a common topic around the office water cooler, but since we originally blogged about it in 2017, there seems to be at least an increasing awareness that this issue, which affects over 50% of menopausal women, needs to be more openly discussed.
Causes and Symptoms of Vaginal Dryness
Although frequently associated with menopause, vaginal dryness can occur at any time of life including breastfeeding, radiation or chemotherapy or other medications. Fluctuating levels of the hormone, estrogen, are most often implicated, especially when it declines. The result is a loss of elasticity and thickness in the vaginal walls along with a smaller layer of clear fluid. When the moisture decreases, this can lead to discomfort, itching and pain, which is often exacerbated during intercourse.
Vaginal dryness, vaginal atrophy and sexual disinterest due to discomfort can all affect quality of life, and women of all ages shouldn’t simply be resigned to the fact that “this happens”. Women should speak to their physicians to rule out more serious causes, then have a candid discussion about different treatment options that may be most suitable.
Over the Counter Gels as Effective as Hormone Therapy
While many women are given prescription hormones as a first line treatment for vaginal dryness, studies have shown that this may not be necessary. A 2018 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association compared the effectiveness of hormone treatment compared to over the counter vaginal gels and found surprising results. The small study involving 300 women found that the more economical gels were just as effective in relieving symptoms as the more expensive prescription hormones. Given that there are health risks associated with hormone therapy, it makes sense that women should at least try the over the counter alternative as a first option.
Treatment for Symptoms of Menopausal Vaginal Dryness
If you opt for over-the-counter treatments, take heart that options are increasing as demand grows. At PhaMix, we’re proud to carry an ever-growing range of both vaginal moisturizers and lubricants:
- Gynatrof Gel: This non-hormonal vaginal lubricant is available in a convenient gel form that improves hydration, relieves and treats vaginal atrophy and its underlying symptoms. Available in Europe since 2006 it’s quickly become the top-selling product in our Women’s Health department.
- Zestica: A natural-feel lubricant specially formulated with two types of hyaluronic acid molecules for instant relief and longer-term moisture.
- RepaGyn Ovules: A hormone-free nightly treatment that helps relieve dryness and promote healing of vaginal tissue.
- Good Clean Love: Available in both Almost Naked Personal Lubricant and Restore Moisturizing Gel.
- Yes Organics: Including Yes Oil Based Lubricant, Yes Water Based Lubricant and Yes Vaginal Moisturizer.
- pHemme Restore Moisturizing Gel: An effective remedy for dryness by providing immediate moisture, hydration, and long-lasting silkiness for hours.
- Mae Vaginal Moisturizer: A 100% natural body-friendly moisturizer for women designed for long-term usage.