They say that “time and tide wait for no man”, and even in these extraordinary and unprecedented circumstances, we can count on the approach of summer. With the highly anticipated stretch of warm weather comes the daunting task of choosing the perfect sunscreen. No worries: we’re here to help.
What Makes a Perfect Sunscreen?
If only there were truly one perfect sunscreen that adjusted to each person’s needs and skin type! In the real world, however, finding the right sun protection requires wading through an overwhelming number of products. But, by keeping in mind a few key tips, you’ll be able to narrow down the choices and find something you’ll love.
5 Tips to Choosing the Perfect Sunscreen
We have years of sunscreen experience that we want to share with you! Here are 5 tips to help when looking for the perfect sunscreen:
- Face or Body: Although many sunscreens can be used for either the face or the body, there are differences in terms of the finish, feel and even size of sunscreens. Sunscreens made specifically for the face are lighter in feel, less shiny on the skin and come in smaller sizes. For the body, where aesthetic finishes may be less of a concern, the size of the sunscreen almost always provides better value. Anthelios XL SPF 50 Melt in Cream is made for the face AND body with a velvet finish and much coveted formula with both Mexoryl and Tinosorb, making it a customer favorite.
- Lotion or Cream? Spray or Fluid? Which sunscreen type you choose comes down to personal preference. But apart from that, it is often external factors such as humidity, temperature and even activity that come into play. At PhaMix, we stock a wide selection so that you can choose just the right one.
- Must Have: Everyone has their “must have”, and when it comes to sunscreen, it is usually all about the sun filters. Ombrelle and Anthelios have a lock on the Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL sunscreens, and we’ve been fans for many years thanks to their photostable, wide-spectrum protection, coupled with frankly an impressive selection of options. Lately, many customers are asking for Tinosorb, the latest UVA and UVB sunscreen filter. A few Anthelios products have added Tinosorb to their formulation, including popular SPF 50+ Invisible Fluid and Dermo-Pediatrics Spray Invisible SPF 50. If you can’t get enough of Tinosorb, look no further than Avène sunscreens, which are formulated with both Tinosorb S and Tinosorb M.
- Deal Breaker: Common deal breakers include, a white finish, a greasy feel or a heavy, shiny look. If a sunscreen doesn’t look or feel good, we know we won’t use it, no matter how well it protects. We do our best to personally test every single sunscreen we carry, so if you’ve got a question, there’s a good chance we can give you a first-hand opinion.
- Water Resistant or Not: If you’re planning on any swimming or sporty activities, a water resistant sunscreen is a must. The industry standard is sunscreen should provide 40 minutes of protection in the water if marked as “water resistant”. A sunscreen that is “very water resistant” should be good for up to 80 minutes. If there’s no indication of water resistance, swimming or excessive sweating will simply wash the sunscreen away. Regardless of which you choose, it’s important to reapply after towelling off.
Success Depends on Application
No sunscreen protects 100% against all UV rays and effectiveness is very much dependent on proper application. This means applying enough, reapplying frequently and making sure that you get commonly missed areas!
You’ll find more tips on how to apply properly as well as how much to use and the 10 spots you should pay more attention to in our blogs.