With the June solstice just around the corner, what better time to update your summertime skin care routine? The season will officially change and those in the Northern Hemisphere will experience peak sunlight. And just as we tend to wear different clothing during the warmer months, adjusting our skin care products to counteract the consequences of higher sun exposure, increased humidity and heat just makes sense.
Summertime Skin Care – When Change is Good
Although “sun smarts” would dictate limiting time in the sunshine, we’d be the last to deny that, after a long winter and colder than expected spring, a bit of warmth on the bare skin feels good. But with more time spent outside, UV exposure can definitely do a number on your skin. While UVB rays can cause sun damage such as burns and dark spots, the UVA rays can accelerate the signs of aging. Increased humidity means we will want the lightest products possible but the drying heat of the summer can simultaneously zap moisture. What’s a gal to do?
4 Summertime Essentials
We still firmly believe in the essential 3 step skin care routine but our summertime regimen has us opting for products that will help minimize the effects of both the heat outside and the air conditioning inside.
Here are our 4 summertime essentials to make sure our skin looks as good as we feel:
- Sunscreen. Yes, it may not be sexy but sunscreen is hands-down, the best thing you can do for your skin. Protecting your skin from the burning and aging UV rays is paramount to slowing down the signs of aging (see the ever-youthful and sunscreen proponent Paul Rudd). Whether your particular skin damage manifests itself as wrinkles, age spots or sagging skin, the importance of a broad spectrum sunscreen cannot be overstated.
If you’ve been using a multi-tasking moisturizer with sun filters, such as Anthelios KA SPF50 or La Roche Posay Hydraphase UV SPF 30, you may want to switch over to a dedicated sunscreen at this point. Our top two favorites are Apothekari Shade SPF30, a natural sunscreen formulated with non-whitening 13.5% zinc oxide, and Anthelios SPF 50 Shaka Fluide with a lightweight texture that’s ideal for more humid days. Both sunscreens have moisturizing properties, so you may find that you can skip your regular moisturizer during the warmer months.
- Antioxidant. What we never skip is a really effective antioxidant to help fight free radicals that are generated from UV exposure. Although it’s already a part of our daily routine, we feel that antioxidants are especially crucial when much of our day is spent outside, exposed to sun and pollution, both of which can damage cells at the DNA level. Apothekari Bespoke Vitamin C serum is the one we reach for. Not only does it contain skin care darling L-ascorbic acid, but we’ve included an arsenal of other antioxidants such as green tea extract, ferulic acid and lycopene. Plus, antioxidants can boost the effectiveness of sunscreen!
- Exfoliant. There’s no denying that we tend to underestimate the importance of exfoliating. Not only do dead skin cells make the skin look dull and dry, they also create a barrier for all those active ingredients in your skin care treatments. In the summertime, increased sun exposure, air conditioning, chlorine and airplane travel can all dry out the skin. If you’re reading this and nodding in agreement, consider penciling-in some time “me” time and giving yourself a spa treat at home with uplifting Apothekari Lemon Verbena Sugar Body Polish followed by our healing Shea Body Butter. For the face, we rely on the Bespoke Vitamin C serum’s low pH to gently exfoliate by applying to a clean face and waiting 15 minutes before applying other products.
- Retinoid. There’s a persistent myth that says retinoids shouldn’t be used in the summer. This couldn’t be further from the truth. The fact is that retinoids are light-sensitive and can degrade with exposure to the sunlight. Limited usage of retinoids to nighttime only means you’ll maximize their benefits without sacrificing effectiveness, all while getting your well-deserved 8 hours. If you’ve used retinoids without success in the past, you’ll love Apothekari A is for Anti-Aging Serum. Made with effective yet gentle retinaldehyde, it boosts collagen production, brightens the skin and minimizes the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. If there was ever a miracle for the skin, this would be it.
How to Layer
Whether it’s a summertime skin care routine or one for the winter, layering products is simple. Just keep these few things in mind:
- Start off with clean skin to ensure optimal absorption.
- Apply products from lightest consistency to heaviest. This will mostly mean starting off with a serum and then a moisturizer if you need one.
- Next, apply your sunscreen.
- Finish off with make-up or foundation if using.
If you’re still looking for that perfect sunscreen for summer, check out our most recent blog here on PhaMix or give us a call. We’d be happy to help you!